A neurologist is a specialist who treats a wide variety of pathologies of the nervous system. He deals with pathologies of the cerebrospinal axis, with the peripheral nervous system. This means that a neuro doctor studies everything related to the human nervous system. Do not assume that this science is only interested in pathology. It also covers:
What do neurologists do?
Doctors accept patients with pathological processes of the nervous system, as a result of which the metabolism of the nervous system can be disrupted, as well as the blood-brain barrier can change. They also deal with the cerebrospinal axis, thalamus, dorsal spine.
One should visit a doctor of this specialization with the following diseases:
- vegetative dystonia;
- pinched sciatic nerve;
- herniated disc;
- hypertensive encephalopathy;
- chronic circulatory failure;
- neuralgia and other numerous diseases;
- trigeminal neuralgia;
- tumors of the cerebrospinal axis;
- neurological complications;
- neuropathy and polyneuropathy;
- epileptic seizures;
- consequences of craniocerebral trauma.
The doctor's duties include identifying not only the disease itself, but also the causes that lead to disturbances in the functioning of the nervous system, it is especially important to identify the affected area. It is necessary to assess the degree of disease of the nervous system, to detect adjacent pathologies of other organs and systems.
What symptoms should a person visit a neuro doctor for?
Urgent assistance from this specialist is necessary if the patient experiences dizziness, intermittent vomiting, weakness, confusion, memory impairment, severe headache, epistaxis, numbness or decreased sensitivity of the body, loss of coordination, or a change in gait after a fall or impact. In the presence of these symptoms, a doctor’s examination is required, even if, after examination by an ambulance doctor or an X-Ray, no signs of brain or spinal cord injury were found.
Consultation with a neuro specialist is also necessary in case of frequent occurrence of symptoms such as:
- nausea or vomiting, not associated with gastrointestinal disorders;
- pain in the spine;
- memory impairment;
- temporary change or loss of vision;
- numbness of any part of the body;
- nervous tics (involuntary movements, sounds or words “breaking out” against will);
- irregular confusion or blurred speech (for example, in the morning or when moving from the street to a warm room);
- disobedience of the limbs, impaired coordination of movements;
- sharp spasms, short-term severe headache when moving;
- uncontrollable behavior (for example, the sudden appearance of the grasping reflex).
Where to find the best neurologist in Lagos?
You can find a suitable doctor on our jimeds.ng portal. Here is a list of neurologists, from which you can choose a specialist based on criteria important to you (reviews about a specialist, work experience, education, etc.), as well as book an appointment with him by calling a free contact centre + 234 1 227 9151.