A family doctor is usually understood as a general practitioner who diagnoses and treats common mild diseases. A doctor's qualification allows treating most diseases of all family members, regardless of their age and gender.
A family physician, who observes both adults and children in the same family, can collect the most complete history. In many cases, this makes it easier to diagnose and choose the most effective treatments. The qualification of a doctor allows him to treat any diseases that do not require highly specialized medical care and surgical interventions. He prescribes therapy, carries out preventive examinations and, if indicated, refers to narrow specialists.
What is the responsibility of a family doctor
- Primary diagnosis of diseases and treatment of the most common diseases, referral to narrow specialists, control of the prescribed treatment, and, if necessary, its addition and adjustment, dynamic monitoring of the patient's health;
- Preparation of individual rehabilitation programs;
- Disease prevention, vaccination of all family members;
- Registration of various medical documentation: a medical card for a kindergarten, a school, an extract from an outpatient card, a certificate for admission to a university, a certificate for a swimming pool, etc.
When is a family practice physician needed?
It is necessary to visit a doctor for the diagnosis of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, neurological problems, diseases of the ENT organs, respiratory tract and cardiovascular system. But a general practitioner cannot replace narrowly focused specialists.
Symptoms for which it is it recommended to consult a family doctor
Reduced general condition can become a reason for treatment:
- temperature rise;
- nasal congestion;
- pain or extraneous sounds in the ear;
- impaired visual acuity, the appearance of circles and seeing dark spots in the vision, redness of the eyes, etc.;
- difficulty swallowing, sore throat, hoarseness;
- difficulty breathing, shortness of breath;
- pains of various localization;
- heartburn, belching, nausea, constipation, or diarrhea;
- chronic fatigue, unmotivated weakness, insomnia, anxiety, sudden mood swings;
- skin irritation and rash, itchy skin, increased dry skin.
How to search for a family doctor finder in Lagos?
The Jimeds website provides a rating of specialists in Lagos. You can find a good specialist based on the reviews and assessments of other patients, and you can book an appointment with any family doctor by calling +234 1 227 9151.